We are proud to offer the American Honors program at Union County College.
American Honors is a selective, nationally recognized honors program for students who want to earn their associate at Union County College and then transfer to complete a bachelor’s degree.
Students accepted into American Honors enter into a tight-knit community that provides them with additional resources, knowledge, and support both inside and outside the classroom. Participating in the honors program sets students up to thrive wherever they transfer.
As an American Honors student, you will:
- Have a dedicated honors coach working with you one-on-one on course selection, academic success plans, and transfer planning
- Take small classes with other honors students
- Engage in professional development and resume-building activities
- Participate in honors seminars and honors council
- Receive personalized transfer advising from start to finish
American Honors is for you, if you are:
- Aspiring to earn a bachelor’s degree
- Beginning your first year of college or have earned fewer than 30 college credits
- Motivated, determined, and persevering
- Looking to distinguish yourself and stand out in college
Top universities across the country encourage students to apply to their schools for transfer.
These schools know that American Honors program graduates are:
- Academically prepared and ready to take on upper level coursework since they’ve already earned an associate’s degree with an honors distinction.
- Leaders/community builders - they’ve likely participated in volunteer projects, honors council, mentorship programs or other American Honors activities outside the classroom.
- Motivated to succeed - not only to earn their bachelor’s degree, but also to excel at careers they are passionate about. They’ve taken advantage of the professional development opportunities recommended by American Honors.
Visit AmericanHonors.org to view the current list of schools in the growing American Honors national transfer network!
What does it cost?
American Honors provides additional resources and opportunities to enhance the community college experience. The American Honors program is an additional cost to the regular tuition and fees at Union County College.
Program Tuition & Fees
How do I apply?
- No application fee
- Students should submit digital versions of recent transcript(s) and relevant tests scores (e.g. SAT)
- Students must also apply to Union County College
The admissions process is holistic. We consider students’ academic and non-academic achievements, as well as their aspirations.
College can be expensive. Are there scholarships for the program?
American Honors Foundation Scholarship
The American Honors Foundation offers program scholarships to select students on a first-come, first-served basis. Students are encouraged to apply early for the program and this scholarship opportunity that helps fund the cost of tuition and fees.
J.C. Kellogg Foundation Scholarship for American Honors
Awarded to students who are on a two-year track toward graduation from Union County College and who plan to transfer to a four-year institution. Eligible students must be Elizabeth residents and must have met the entrance criteria to be admitted into the American Honors program. Students must be enrolled full-time in an associate degree program that leads to transfer.