Option offered through Liberal Arts
The study of music will include an exploration of the various styles and periods of music throughout history, as well as the acquisition of basic music skills such as reading music, playing simple instruments, and conducting song sessions. Discussions and listenings will illuminate the different forms of music.
The specific objectives of this program are that the graduate must be able to demonstrate:
Search for courses in the online course catalog.
- basic general musicianship skills;
- a basic understanding and appreciation of various musical styles;
- a general understanding of formal creative issues, including musical form, melody, harmony, rhythm, texture, motive, instruments, and orchestra;
- basic music theory, including notation, intervals, scales, and triads;
- the necessary knowledge for teaching general music at the elementary school level.