Option offered through Liberal Arts
The Fine Arts Option in Photography is a Liberal Arts transfer-oriented curriculum that provides students, through a core of visual arts/photography-related courses, a theoretical and practical understanding of the artistic and commercial areas of photography. Utilizing skills and techniques learned through a combined lecture/studio/darkroom experience, students are taught the basics of black and white, color photography, and the history of photography which are applicable to the commercial and artistic environments.
A large component of this program focuses on developing studio photography skills, including darkroom techniques, standard and large format camera usage, studio lighting, theoretical and historical applications, and comprehensive portfolio development.
Upon successful completion of all program requirements, graduates will be able to:
Search for courses in the online course catalog.
- Apply general picture-taking skills including f/stop, shutter speed, and depth of field control.
- Process black and white negatives and color and black and white prints.
- Utilize darkroom and studio equipment including strobes, large format cameras, and light meters.
- Analyze issues of photographic practice.
- Communicate effectively about art both orally and in writing.
- Create a portfolio that demonstrates competency in photography.