Online Student Starter Kit
for UCC Online using ANGEL
Congratulations on enrolling in an online course at Union County College! The UCC Online course will provide you with an educational experience that is equivalent to a traditional course presentation format, while giving you the convenience of time flexibility.
This UCC Online Student Starter Kit contains basic online course information, how to get started with your online course, and where to go for help if you need it.
When will my course become available?
Your online course will be available no sooner than 3 business days before the start of the semester in which you are enrolled.When does my online course begin?
Online courses follow the same academic calendar as on-campus courses. Be sure to logon the first day of classes.
Please check the start date, required textbook and materials, and other information specific to each course you are enrolled in by logging into the Owl's Nest. Select Academics from the top menu, then Distance Education. Locate your course by format, then semester, and click on the course section number. Please read the information carefully to assure you fully understand the course requirements and procedures.
Special notice regarding online math courses:
The math department requires all students to take a proctored midterm and final exam at which time the student must present the proctor with a photo id which can be a valid driver’s license, passport, or state ID. No other form of ID is acceptable. If it is absolutely impossible for a student to come to the Cranford campus for the exams, it is the student’s responsibility to arrange for a proctor. The instructor has the right to reject the proctor the student chooses. Each instructor’s syllabus states the requirements the proctor must meet.
How do I use the computer to access my course?
UCCollege Online courses are delivered via the Internet and web-based software used to create “virtual classrooms." UCC Online currently uses and supports ANGEL Learning 7.4. Access to UCC Online courses requires an Internet connection, a web browser (IE 7 or Firefox 3.6 or higher), and access to the Owl's Nest.
What are the Required Minimum Computer Requirements?
Review the Minimum Computer Requirements for your PC or MAC.
When should I logon and begin my course?
Please log on to your online courses on the
FIRST DAY of the semester.
Online courses follow the same start and end dates as traditional courses and most have definite due dates for assignments and tests. Many instructors have assignments due during the first week of class.
How do I logon to UCC Online Courses?
To get to UCC Online...
Where do I get Help and Support for UCC Online?
- open a compatible web browser(Internet Explorer or Firefox)
- log on to the Owl's Nest
- click the link to ANGEL
- You will arrive at your homepage and list of courses
Distance Education students who need assistance of any kind in the use of the technology in a distance education course should not hesitate to use the resources below.
- The Distance Education Website – Most questions you have can be answered by reading through the Distance Education website in the Owl's Nest, it's available 24/7!
- ANGEL Orientation – Sessions will be offered at the beginning of each semester by the Academic Learning Center. The orientations will assist students with basic navigation such as logging on, submitting an assignment, taking a test, and using the discussion forum. Please contact the ALC for specific dates and times.
- Course Content help? – Need help locating an assignment, test, syllabus, etc.? Direct all course content questions to your course instructor. Instructors may be found in the Distance Education Faculty Directory in the Owl's Nest.
- Need help using the Course Tools? – User documentation is available online and may be accessed by selecting the question mark button found on the Power Strip always available from any UCC Online screen.
Three types of help are available:
- Angel 7.4 QuickStart Tutorial - indexed, searchable online help
- Downloadable ANGELGuides - Quickstart and other guides to download prepared by ANGEL Learning
- School Resources - Orientation guides, tutorials, downloads prepared by the Union County College Distance Education department.
- Username or Password help? – You logon through the Owl's Nest. If you have difficulty with your Owl's Nest account, contact firstname.lastname@example.org
- Technical issues? – Please make sure you can access the Owl's Nest and that classes have begun. If you can’t logon, access your course, or some other function is not working properly, complete a Support Request Form. Please provide as much information about your problem as you can in the space provided and complete each form field for a prompt response.
- When should I expect a response to a support issue?
All attempts will be made to resolve a Support Request on the same day it is received. When sending a Support Request Form, your request will be answered as soon as possible Monday through Friday, 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. After 4 p.m. you may anticipate a response the following business day.
The Distance Education office is a small department, consequently there are times when no one is in the office to respond or the college may be closed. In these instances, your request will take more than one business day for you to receive an answer. Please be patient, one Support Request Form or one phone call is all that is necessary to receive a response to your technical issue. Multiple requests concerning the same issue fill up voice mail or email inboxes causing response delays.