Home /  Becoming a Student / 

Applying to Union County College


First Time Students

Getting started at Union County College is, for most students, a five-step process:

  • Admissions application and accompanying forms (HS affidavit and official transcript);
  • Apply for financial aid and scholarships;
  • Placement testing (some exemptions apply);
  • Counselor for advising;
  • Register for classes.

Students may complete an application for admission by visiting the Admissions Office on any campus or online. We recommend that these steps be completed a few months prior to the beginning of the semester for which you intend to enroll.

For students interested in receiving financial aid, you must enter your valid social security number on our admission application.

Non-Credit Classes

The Division of Economic Development and Continuing Education at Union provides professional development and personal enrichment opportunities for adults as well as academic enrichment for kids.

A wide variety of courses and seminars are scheduled in the evenings, on weekends, and during daytime hours that are convenient for all. In addition, the Division offers many online courses and certificate programs

International Students

Union County College welcomes several hundred students visiting the United States from all around the world each year. Applicants from other countries with foreign credentials may apply for admission as full-time matriculated students in a degree program. It is suggested that you do so at least two months before the beginning of a semester. International applicants must complete the following steps:

  • Application for Admission;
  • Official secondary school record listing courses taken and examination results (notarized photocopies are acceptable). If applicable, credentials must be translated into English by an accredited translating agency;
  • For F1 Visa applicants: an Affidavit of Support indicating the source and ability to pay tuition, fees and living expenses while studying. A Statement of Understanding must be signed by the applicant and person(s) who submit the Affidavit of Support on behalf of the applicant;
  • For other accepted Visa types: please submit a copy of your current visa.

Please be aware that Union County College does not provide student housing. As an international student, you may be considered for scholarships at Union County College, but financial aid programs from the US Federal government or the State of New Jersey are limited to US citizens and permanent residents only.


If you previously attended Union County College and would like to return, you must submit a new application. You can do this in person at the Admissions Office on any of our campuses or online. Then your next steps are to:

  • Apply for financial aid and scholarships;
  • See a counselor for advising;
  • Register for classes.

We recommend that these steps be completed a few months prior to the beginning of the semester for which you intend to enroll. Students who were dismissed from Union County College for academic or other reasons may reapply only under the conditions specified at the time of their dismissal.

Transferring to Union County College

Whether you’ve attended another 2-year college, 4-year college or accredited vocational or trade school, in the United States or elsewhere, you may be able to transfer credits that you’ve earned to Union County College towards a degree or certificate here. We recommend that these steps be completed a few months prior to the beginning of the semester for which you intend to enroll. Transfer applicants must:

  • Submit an admissions application and accompanying forms;
  • Submit an official transcript/s to the Office of Admission;
  • Register for classes.

Most transfer students need not take the academic placement tests; you will be contacted if this will be required. Please be aware that Union County College will accept a maximum of one-half of the credits required for a degree or certificate as transfer credits.

Visiting Students

If you are attending another institution, taking courses at Union is an excellent way to stay on track academically and thanks to our affordable tuition, save money as well. Visiting students must:

  • Submit an admissions application and accompanying forms;
  • Visiting students should put their major down as NM.VISIT
  • Most visiting students will be exempt from taking placement tests at Union, but you may be required to do so if you have not yet satisfactorily completed the required prerequisites;
  • Register for classes.


Those students who have served our country may be able to attend Union at little or no cost thanks to a number of programs available to assist veterans with educational costs.  Some programs are even available to the family members and dependents of veterans of our armed forces.  If you are a veteran, the application process is the same as any other student, but you should also take time to meet with a Veterans Advisor in the Admissions office on the Cranford campus to ensure that you will receive all education benefits that are available to you.

Bridge Program for High School Students

High school students in their Junior or Senior year and at least 16 years of age, may apply for the Bridge Program to begin earning college credits. The Bridge Program is one more way Union County College helps families beat the high cost of a college education. It is possible that a Bridge Program student can earn enough credits to accelerate their studies at a four-year college.  To enroll in the Bridge Program you must:

  • Have a cumulative 'B' average in your high school studies;
  • Obtain permission from your guidance counselor and parent/guardian;
  • Submit admissions application and the Bridge Program application;
  • Place out of developmental courses by taking the placement test or scoring at least 530 Critical Reading and 540 Math on your SAT's;
  • Register for classes.

Bridge students may register for no more than two courses per semester.  Bridge students attend classes with other Union County College students and pay the same tuition rates.  Financial aid is not available for students in the Bridge Program.

                    Photo Of  Carlos Arias-Miranda

Meet Carlos Arias-Miranda

Engineering - Student
SGA and PTK Officer, Cricket Player, Musician
Copyright © 1997-2014 Union County College
1033 Springfield Avenue
Cranford, NJ 07016
(908) 709-7000