1. What time do classes meet?
The Institute for Intensive English (IIE) offers morning, afternoon, and evening classes. Levels 1 - 4 meet four - five days a week. Levels 5 and 6 grammar classes meet two - three days a week. Levels 5 and 6 reading and writing classes meet once a week.  Eng 111 meets once or twice a week.  Most classes meet from 8:00am - 10:50am, 11:00am - 1:50pm; 4:50pm- 7:30pm; 7:35pm - 10:15pm; late-start classes have different schedules. The Summer Schedule is different. Click on Summer Courses for more information.

2. Do you have Saturday classes?
Yes, we do. The IIE offers an advanced writing class on Saturdays.

3. What kind of questions are on the placement test?
There are three different tests. The Native Language test is for students who cannot write in English and can speak very little English. The Basic Test is for students who can speak and know how to read and write in English. The Advanced Test is for students who are comfortable speaking, reading, and writing essays in English.

4. I took ESL in high school. Do I have to take ESL at Union County College?
In general, you must take the ESL placement test to see if you still need ESL. If you attended middle school in the U.S. and all four years of high school, you may not need to take the ESL placement test. The IIE Director will decide who needs to take the test.

5. Do I have to buy textbooks?
Yes, you do. All students have to buy textbooks for their classes.

6. Where do I buy my textbooks?

Students buy their textbooks at the bookstore on the campus where their classes meet or online.

7. What other courses can I take?
Students in Levels 3 and above can take ESL 080-Pronunciation, ADM 101-Keyboarding and math courses according to the ESL Math Placement Test. Students in Levels 4 and above can take ESL 071- Advanced Conversation. Students in Level 5 and 6 have more options.

8. Will I have homework and tests?
Yes. All students will have homework, quizzes, a midterm exam and a final exam.

10. Can I study part-time?
Only students in Levels 5, 6, and ENG 111 and ENG 112 may study part-time.

11. If my job shift changes, can I change my class?

It is very difficult to change classes after the semester begins. If you need to change your class time, you must do it before the registration period ends.

Call the IIE Office for more information: 908-965-6031

Copyright © 1997-2015 Union County College
1033 Springfield Avenue
Cranford, NJ 07016 (908) 709-7000 webmaster@ucc.edu
Accredited by The Middle States Commission on Higher Education