Featured Image
Featured Image


Union County College


The FAFSA asks for my parents information, but I am on my own. What do I do?

If you are over age 24, married, a Veteran of the armed forces, an orphan or ward of the court, or if you have dependents of your own that you support, you will not need to report your parent’s information. If you ordinarily would need to report parent information, but are unable to do so because of an unusual situation, you should visit the office of Financial Aid to discuss your situation and inquire about your options. You may be asked to document your situation in writing and fill out the Request for Independant Status Form available from our Forms page.The FAFSA is based on last year’s income, but I lost my job since then. Now I have no income. Do I have any options for having this considered?

If you or your parents have experienced a significant decrease in income, or have paid unusually large medical expenses this year, visit the Office of Financial Aid to discuss your situation and inquire about your options. You may be asked to provide detailed documentation of your situation in writing and fill out the request for Consideration of Special Circumstance Form available from our Forms page.

How can I appeal my suspension of aid due to not meeting SAP requirements?

Once you are suspended from financial aid due to not meeting minimum SAP requirement, you cannot receive it any further unless you can prove that the reasons you couldn’t meet the requirement were unusual, unavoidable, and beyond your control. To prove this, you may file an appeal with the Financial Aid Appeals Committee. Approval of your appeal is not guaranteed.  It is up to you to convince the committee with your written appeal that your situation was truly mitigating. The committee will also look favorably on any proof you can provide that you now have your problems under control so they won’t happen again. Please note that only written appeals are accepted.

I heard that if I withdraw from my classes I might need to repay my financial aid.  Is this true?

Yes. The federal financial aid programs require you to “earn” your aid by attending classes. If you receive federal financial aid and withdraw from all of your classes, your aid “earned” will be prorated based on your class attendance. The rules are a bit complicated, so we encourage you to visit the Office of Financial Aid if you receive federal aid and need to withdraw.

Can I charge books to my grant award in the College bookstore?

Yes. If your financial aid program will cover book expenses, you will be able to charge your books during the posted bookstore charging times. We encourage you to make sure you have your final class schedule before buying your books.

When will I receive my refund check?

Checks for grant awards and electronically transferred loans that exceed any charges on your account will be processed at the end of the add-drop period each term, unless you are taking a class that begins later in a part-of-term.

Checks for late awards are processed as quickly as possible, usually within two weeks of the final approval of the program.

What if I can’t attend my classes or need to withdraw?

Do not simply stop going to class without submitting an official withdrawal!  You could be required to pay back the entire amount of your financial aid! If you receive federal aid and you withdraw from all of your classes, you may be required to repay a portion of your financial aid.  We urge you to complete your classes if at all possible to avoid complications with your future financial aid. If you cannot attend a class, you should notify your professor as soon as possible and see an academic counselor about submitting a withdrawal form.

Do not simply stop going to class! You must complete at least 67% of your attempted courses to remain eligible for financial aid.  Please be sure you are familiar with the rules for Satisfactory Academic Progress and visit the Office of Financial Aid if you have any questions.