Public Access to Union County College Records

Union County College provides access to government records in compliance with applicable federal and state laws. The New Jersey Public Access to Government Records Law, N.J.S.A. 47:1A-1 et. seq. (the “Act”) extends to Union County College. (This law is sometimes called the Open Public Records Act or OPRA.) Union County College has appointed a College Custodian of Records who is responsible for implementing the duties and responsibilities provided by this law.

Requests for access to government records must be in writing. The law specifically provides that Union County College employees who receive a request for access to records shall forward the request to the College Custodian of Records, or direct the requestor to the Custodian at Only the Custodian of Records is authorized to release or deny the release of a college record under this law.

Generally, the right of public access to government records under OPRA may be subject to inspection, and/or copying, upon request by a citizen of the state of New Jersey. There are numerous exceptions for various categories of documents that are not considered government records under the law or are exempt from disclosure under other applicable federal or state laws, regulations, or orders. It is important to note that the law provides for access to records; it does not require Union County College to create documents for the purpose of replying to requests for information.

Time Frame
The law provides for a short time frame in which to respond to a request for a record. A response will typically be made to the request within seven (7) business days of a written request. If it is determined that the requestor seeks access to a readily available government record, then, if practicable, it will be provided within seven business days. If the government record is temporarily unavailable, the requestor will be notified within that seven-day period as to when the record is expected. If the Custodian of Records determines that the requestor has sought access to documents that are not government records, then the requestor will be notified of this.

Responding to a Government Records Request
Anyone requesting a college record should be referred immediately to the College Custodian of Records at The College Custodian of Records is the only person authorized to provide or deny access to university records. Prepayment of applicable fees is required.

Obtaining a Request Form
You may obtain a Request for Government Records Form by contacting the College Custodian of Records email at You may also download and print the Records Request Form, to be completed and either:

  • mailed to Union County College, c/o Custodian of Public Records, 1033 Springfield Avenue, Cranford, NJ 07016 or,
  • faxed to 908-709-0527, c/o Custodian of Public Records or,
  • delivered, in person, to the College Custodian of Public Records.

Right of Appeal
A person who is denied access to a government record by the Custodian, at the option of the requestor, may institute a proceeding challenging the Custodian’s decision by (1) filing a complaint with the Government Records Council, PO Box 819, Trenton, NJ 08625-0819 or (2) by filing an action in the Superior Court, Union County Courthouse, Elizabeth, NJ.

An informational pamphlet produced by the Government Records Council which explains the right of the public to access government records and the methods for resolving disputes regarding access, is available at the office of the College Custodian of Government Records. Assistance may also be obtained by calling the Government Records Council 1-866-850-0511 or by logging on to that agency’s informational website