As part of the registration process students should check their Self Service Portal for an outstanding balance and make payment.  Students who do not settle their account by the posted payment deadline for the semester could be dropped from their courses. Students who register on or after the payment deadline are expected to settle their account by the next business day, or their courses may be de-registered. Students should not expect this policy to absolve them of financial liability. By registering for class, students are purchasing a seat in each selected class and are responsible for payment of the associated tuition and fee charges. Students who choose not to begin classes must officially drop according to the published deadlines to avoid being charged. Failure to attend a class does not constitute an official drop.

  • The College accepts Visa, MasterCard, Discover and American Express in addition to cash, checks, and money orders. The appropriate college forms should accompany payment.
  • Payment of a prior semester balance must be in cash, certified check, money order, or credit card.
  • Checks and money orders should include the student’s College Identification Number (not the social security number) on the face of the document.
  • Eligible students can make credit card and check (e-check) payments by logging into web services and clicking “View Account and Make Payments” in the Student Finance section of Self-Service.
  • For credit card payments, where the cardholder is someone other than the student, a written statement must be provided by the cardholder authorizing student use of the card for payment to Union College.
  • The College offers a Tuition Payment Plan to qualified students enrolled in three or more credits during Fall and Spring semesters. Click here for more information.
  • Students who have estimated financial aid awards on their account at the time of registration may be able to use the aid towards their charges. If financial aid does not cover all charges the remaining balance is due from the student. In addition, students will be responsible for making payment to the College if any financial aid award is revised or cancelled.
  • Accounts with outstanding balances are subject to a monthly late fee until the balance is paid in full. Students who do not pay their outstanding balance may be turned over to a collection agency and will be responsible for the added cost of collection fees, court costs, and legal fees. The cost of collection can add as much as 40% to the amount already owed and could result in the disruption of credit worthiness when the collection agency reports the delinquent account to national credit bureaus.
    • A “Hold” will be placed on the student’s account and the student will not be allowed to receive grades, letters of recommendation, or transcripts and will not be permitted to register for future semesters until the balance is paid.
    • In the case of those academically eligible to graduate, a diploma or related transcripts will not be issued until all outstanding balances have been paid.
  • Students are liable for the full retail-price replacement of any materials, which cannot be returned because of loss or damage.
  • Students are financially responsible for all semester tuition and fee charges incurred despite their non-attendance. Students should adhere to the college policy regarding dropping or withdrawing.


  • Courses must be officially dropped during the stated refund period for the semester. Courses can be dropped online through Student Planning or in person at a Student Services Center. Failure to attend a course does not constitute an official drop and students will remain responsible for all tuition and fee charges.
  • Refund amounts are determined by the official drop date recorded on the student’s account.
  • Refunds can take up to four weeks to be processed and checks to be drawn. Refund checks will be mailed to students at their address of record. Note that refunds for payments made by credit card will be credited to the card from which the payment was made.
    • Courses officially dropped prior to the first scheduled day of a semester will result in a 100% credit of tuition.
    • Fall and Spring Regular Semesters
      • Courses officially dropped from the first scheduled day of the semester through the fifth day of the semester will result in a 50% credit of tuition.
      • After the fifth day of the semester, no reduction in charges will be made for dropped courses.
    • Late Start, Winter, Summer and Seven Week Sessions
      • Courses officially dropped on the first scheduled day of the semester will result in a 50% credit of tuition.
      • After the first day of the semester, no reduction in charges will be made for dropped courses.


  • A fee will be assessed to International students seeking to obtain an INS Form I-20 Certificate of Eligibility for Non-Immigrant (F1) Student Status from Union College.
  • This is a non-refundable registration fee but will be applied toward the first semester tuition upon successfully obtaining the INS Form I-20.

1098-T FORMS

  • Each calendar year, the College issues Internal Revenue Service Form 1098-T to qualified students. The forms are mailed to students by January 31 of the following year.
  • The 1098-T contains information to assist students to determine if they qualify for educational tax credits or deductions. For details on these credits/deductions or how to use the amounts listed on your form, consult either a qualified tax preparer or IRS publication 970 titled “Tax Benefits for Education” www.irs.gov
  • The 1098-T reports the total amount of payments received towards qualified tuition/fee expenses incurred during the tax year, as well as any scholarships/grants awarded to you during that year.***
  • The information on the 1098-T form complies with IRS regulations. Charges and payments are reported in the tax year in which they were posted to a student’s account, which is not necessarily the same as the year in which the courses were taken.

*** In previous years, your Form 1098-T may have included a figure in Box 2 that represented the qualified tuition and related expenses (QTRE) your institution billed to your student account for the calendar (tax) year. Due to a change to institutional reporting requirements under federal law, beginning with tax year 2018, we now report in Box 1 the amount of QTRE you paid during the year.




  • Financial aid awards are disbursed after the add/drop period has ended and student attendance has been verified. Disbursements begin approximately three weeks after the beginning of the term.
  • For student loans, notification will be e-mailed to the student’s Owl’s Nest account when the loan has been disbursed.
  • For other aid disbursements, students are encouraged to view their Web Services to monitor disbursements.
  • If the amount of disbursed aid is greater than a student’s charges, a check for the difference will be mailed to the student’s home address on file within 14 days.


Federal student aid award is based on the percentage of time you are enrolled for the semester. Depending on when you withdraw, your student aid will be adjusted.


  • Unofficial withdrawal
  • Post-withdrawal disbursement
  • Contact upon withdrawal
  • Complete the Loan Exit Interview when you withdraw from school

Future student aid eligibility may be in jeopardy if you withdraw from school

Your federal student aid award is based on the percentage of time you are enrolled for the semester. Depending on when you withdraw, student aid will be adjusted according to the Federal Return of Title IV formula and institutional policy. Tuition may be adjusted and you will most likely owe money to the College if you withdraw. For student financial aid purposes, 12 or more credits is considered full-time enrollment.

Unofficial withdrawal

Withdrawing from the College will cancel your financial aid for future semesters

If you stop attending all of your classes without officially withdrawing (a.k.a. an unofficial withdrawal), you are considered to be “walking away.” Federal aid you received during the semester will be subject to the federal return calculation based on the effective date of withdrawal. The withdrawal date is your last documented date of attendance, as determined by instructors.

Post-withdrawal disbursement

Some aid programs may be available to you after you withdraw. In some cases, a portion of your Federal Pell Grant, Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (SEOG), and/or Federal Direct Loan may be available.

You may receive a letter from us requesting that you submit documents to our office to verify the information on your FAFSA. You will also be notified upon withdrawal if you are eligible for “post-withdrawal disbursement” of any aid funds. You may be required to confirm that you want to accept the disbursement.

Contact upon withdrawal

When you withdraw, the grace period prior to repayment will begin (six months for Federal Direct Loans). If you re-enroll before your grace period ends, you will have a new grace period when you leave school. Otherwise, when you re-enroll you will need to request an in-school deferment.

Federal Direct Loan recipients: notify your federal loan servicer. You can obtain the contact information for your federal loan servicer on the National Student Loan Data System (NSLDS).

Federal Direct Loan recipients under the Federal Family Education Loan (FFEL) Program: notify the lender(s) of your FFEL loan(s). You can obtain the contact information for your FFEL lenders on the National Student Loan Data System (NSLDS).

Complete the Loan Exit Interview when you withdraw from school

Students who withdraw from Union College, even for just one semester, will be required to complete the “Loan Exit Interview” on the Federal Student Aid website to comply with College policy and federal regulations. Students who do not complete the Loan Exit Interview may have registration and transcript holds placed on their academic records.

Future student aid eligibility may be in jeopardy if you withdraw from school.

If you withdraw from the College, your student aid for the following semester will be cancelled. If you process a re-enrollment request for an upcoming semester, please contact the Office of Student Aid to request consideration for reinstatement of your aid.

Your student aid for the future academic year may be in jeopardy if you fall below the minimum credit expectation for satisfactory academic progress, which affects your eligibility for most student aid programs. Academic progress is calculated using the number of credits you attempt and earn each semester. These credit requirements are completely separate from those determined by your academic college or department.


Withdrawal from all courses in which a student is enrolled in a given semester/session constitutes a withdrawal from College. Withdrawal from College during the official withdrawal date set in the College Calendar for semester/session requires that the student submit an official request for withdrawal through a drop/add withdrawal form.

Students should consult with an advisor before withdrawing. Unless this request has been completed by the student and submitted by the appropriate withdrawal dates, the withdrawal is considered “unapproved” and will result in a final grade of “F” or “UF” in all classes.

Financial aid recipients should discuss the implications of withdrawing from class with the Financial Aid Office in order to gain an understanding of any implications withdrawing has on their financial aid status.

Withdrawal from College after the official withdrawal date requires that the student seek a withdrawal from each course with the permission of his/her instructors. See the next section.

Refund and withdrawal eligibility will be based upon the date on the drop/add or withdrawal. A student who withdraws from all classes within the published withdrawal dates, providing there is no violation of academic integrity, will have that withdrawal recorded as a “W” as long as all appropriate forms have been filed.


The official withdrawal period is published in the College calendar. Students may withdraw from a course(s) at any time during the official withdrawal dates posted for the semester/session. Students who wish to drop a course(s) must fill out a Drop/Add Courses Form and submit it to the Registrar’s office.

Please note that some courses do not run for the traditional 15 week semester and an equivalent withdrawal date is calculated and published each term. Official withdrawal can only be accomplished within the dates listed for that semester/session. These dates are identified in the College Calendar, which is available at www.ucc.edu.


Students who withdraw will have a withdrawal “W” grade recorded on their transcript. The “W” grade does not impact the student’s Grade Point Average (GPA) but it does count as having taken the course. Students may not repeat a course more than once without written approval from the Division Dean.

Students should talk to their instructor and an advisor before they consider withdrawing. Withdrawal may change eligibility for federal financial aid and a student’s status from full-time to part-time. Students participating in the Educational Opportunity Fund (EOF) must contact the EOF Office prior to submitting a request for withdrawal form. Also, students receiving Financial Aid funding must contact the Financial Aid Office prior to withdrawing from one or more courses.

An Incomplete “I” grade cannot be changed to a “W” grade.

GRADUATION, WITHDRAWAL, BELOW HALF-TIME STATUS Repayment of Your Loan: In most cases, you must begin making payments six months after you graduate, leave school, or drop below half-time enrollment. Depending on the type of loan you have, the six-month period is called a grace period or a deferment period. Your loan servicer handles the billing, customer service, and other administrative tasks on your loan.   For most types of loans, interest will accrue (accumulate) while you are in school and during the six-month period.

Exit Counseling: If a student graduates, withdraws or drops below half-time status and has borrowed a Federal Direct Loan, the student must complete Exit Loan Counseling. By completing the Exit Counseling, students will gain knowledge and insight on the following:

  • Understanding Your Loans
  • Planning to Repay
  • Avoiding Default
  • Finances: A Priority
  • Repayment Information

In order to fulfill this obligation, Union College sends the Exit Counseling Guide for Federal Student Loan Borrowers (available through the US Department of Education) and a letter describing the process. Students are instructed to complete their exit loan counseling at www.studentloans.gov.

The material is mailed within 30 days of learning that a borrower has withdrawn, graduated or dropped below half time enrollment. If the student borrower drops out without notifying Union College, the College must mail exit counseling material to the borrower at his or her last known address.

Financial Aid Counselors are available to meet with students regarding this federal requirement in order to address any questions of their indebtedness and financial obligation.


Federal Regulations require that Federal financial aid recipients be subject to a reduction of their financial aid if they withdraw or stop attending all classes before completing 60 percent of any given semester.

  • All financial aid recipients are responsible for the costs incurred for tuition, fees, books, and related costs should their financial aid be revised or cancelled for any reason.
  • Students who do not pay an outstanding balance resulting from a change in their financial aid will be turned over to a collection agency and will be responsible for the added cost of collection fees, court costs, and legal fees. The cost of Collection can add as much as 40% to the amount already owed and could result in the disruption of credit worthiness when the collection agency reports the delinquent account to national credit bureaus.