Social Work Services

Union County College is committed to assisting students in accessing resources that meet their basic needs.

Any student who has difficulty securing enough food to eat and/or lacks safe and stable housing is urged to contact Union County College’s Social Worker for support and guidance in becoming connected to resources.

Contact Information

Dr. Takeem L. Dean
Phone: (908) 709-7139

Emma Laffey, MSW
Phone: (908) 527-7246
Email: and/or

Maryam Saleem, LSW
Phone: (908) 709-7585
Email: and/or

Tiffany Douglas, MSW
Phone: (908) 709-7581
Email: and/or


Hours & Campus Location

Cranford Campus: 8:30 am – 4:30 pm Mac Donald Hall Suite A-135

Elizabeth: 8:30 am – 4:30 pm Lessner Building Rm 307

Plainfield Campuses: By appointment only


For individuals in need of financial assistance, emergency housing and food, and screening for benefits, including SNAP and Medicaid, please access The Department of Human Services: The Division of Social Services in your respective County.

For assistance in locating an off-campus food pantry, please utilize the following resources:

For assistance in securing affordable internet services, please utilize:

Ongoing referral information and support include, but are not limited to:

  • Benefits offered through the County’s Division of Social Services, including: Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP), Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants, and Children (WIC), Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF), and General Assistance (GA)
  • Domestic Violence Services
  • Obtaining Medical Insurance Coverage
  • Inpatient and Outpatient Mental Health Counseling and Support Groups
  • Housing, Temporary Rental Assistance, and Emergency Shelter
  • Available Subsidies, including Child Care and Utility assistance
  • Substance Use Disorder Treatment and Support Groups
  • Accessing local Food Pantries and Meal Programs

Union County College’s Food Pantry

Interested in Donating to the Food Pantry?


Emergency Contacts

If you need assistance for an emergency or crisis, immediately contact one of the following resources:

For immediate emergencies CALL 911, or mobile community outreach at Trinitas Regional Medical Center, 908-994-7131 to speak with a psychiatric screener.

Public Safety:  Cranford Campus (908) 709-7152
Elizabeth Campus (908) 659-5195
Plainfield Campus (908) 965-6070

Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 1-800-273-TALK (8255) (24-hr. contact)
1-800-SUICIDE (784-2433)

Caring Contact: 908-232-2880 (24-hr. contact)
TEXT “heart” to 741-741

Military Veterans Hotline:1-800-273-TALK (8255) (Press 1)
Suicide Hotline in Spanish: 1-800-273-TALK (8255) (Press 2)
LGBTQ Suicide Hotline:1-866-4-U-TREVOR (8-873867

To complete a wellness self-screening, please click HERE