Featured Image
Featured Image


Union County College

Institute for Intensive English

Welcome to the Institute for Intensive English

The Institute for Intensive English provides an English for Academic Purposes (EAP) program for ESL students to enhance their English language abilities in order to further their academic, career, and/or personal goals.

After placement testing, students enter an appropriate ESL level of instruction commensurate with their abilities. In all levels, students can register for two core EAP courses: Grammar/Writing and Reading/Listening/Speaking.

Upon completing each course, there is an exit test, to assess a student’s proficiency. Upon completion of Level 6, students take ENG 112, College Composition for ESL students (equivalent to ENG 101), along with other courses.

While enrolled in EAP courses, students can take some additional content area courses, depending on their level:

Level 4 Students:
Mathematics courses according to Math placement test or progression through courses, CST100 Intro to Computer Applications.

Level 5 Students:
FIA 107 Intro to Dance, FIA 109 Intro to Drawing, FIA 110 Intro to Painting, MET 109 Computer Aided Drafting, EGG 111- Engr. and Computer Graphics, HSM 100 Intro to Hospitality Management, as well as other courses with permission.

Level 6 Students:
BUS 101 Introduction to Contemporary Business, BUS 105 Organization and Management, COM 100 Communications Technologies, CRJ 101 Intro to Criminal Justice, ADM 140 Customer Service, LIS 105 Methods in Library Research, PSY 101 General Psychology, SCM 101 Intro to Supply Chain Management and other courses with permission.

For more information
Union County College
Lessner Building-Room E-414
40 West Jersey St.
Elizabeth, NJ 07201

Phone: 908-965-6031
Email:  iie@ucc.edu

Elizabeth Campus – First Floor, Lessner Bldg. Rm 122
Cranford Campus – SD 130
Plainfield Campus – Rm. 117
For more information on ESL Testing, click here.

ADMISSIONS: To fill out a College Application you can go to Admissions Office on any campus or click here to fill out an Application on-line.

APPLYING FOR FINANCIAL AID: For more information on applying for financial aid, click here.

Paying for College 

Click here to read in Spanish

Click on the version you would like to read:
English     Español      Français