COVID-19 Relief

Coronavirus Response and Relief Supplemental Appropriations Act (CRRSAA/HEERF II Grant)

The CRRSAA/HEERF II Act provides money to colleges and universities for emergency student grants. The purpose of the money is to award emergency financial aid grants to students for specific expenses that are a direct result of the disruption of campus operations due to the coronavirus.

At this time, the application period has now closed.

FAQ’s for Student Funding

If you have any additional questions regarding the application, please contact Raquel Vazquez at or call 908-709-7494.

Q. Who is eligible for funding under this program?

To be eligible, you must be enrolled for classes during the 2021 Spring, Summer, or Fall semester(s). The applicant must have filed a 2020-2021 or 2021-2022 FAFSA and be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident (documentation may be required). If you have not yet filed a 2020-2021 or 2021-2022 FAFSA to determine eligibility requirements for the CRRSAA/HEERF II Grant, you may do so at If you have extraordinary financial hardship related to the disruption of campus operations due to the Coronavirus pandemic, you can apply.

To be eligible for financial aid at Union County College; a student must meet the following requirements:

  1. You must be a U.S. Citizen or permanent resident with a valid FAFSA.
  2. You must possess a high school diploma (from the United States or abroad) or its equivalent, such as a GED.
  3. You must be enrolled in an Associate’s degree or Certificate program at Union County College.
  4. You must be enrolled for classes during 2021 Spring, Summer, or Fall semester(s).

Note: Information is obtained for the following below criteria via FAFSA and your academic records within the College.

Q. What can I do if I do not meet the Federal financial aid eligibility requirements?

Students who are not eligible for CRRSAA/HEERF II funding should still apply as the application can determine their eligibility for Student Emergency Support Funding “SERF” through Union County College’s Foundation (documentation is required).

What expenses are covered under the CRRSAA/HEERF II funding?

The following expenses can be considered for grant assistance if they were incurred in “direct relation to the disruption of campus operations due to the Coronavirus.”

  • Food
  • Housing
  • Course materials
  • Health care
  • Childcare
  • Technology-related expenses (such as having to buy a computer when courses were moved to remote instruction)
  • Tuition (2021 Spring, Summer, or Fall outstanding balances only).
  • Other

Note: The CRRSAA/HEERF II Grant stipulates that the emergency funds cannot be used to replace a loss of income or to pay for student expenses that are not directly related to the disruption of campus operations due to the coronavirus pandemic.

Q. How much funding will I receive?
Funds are limited. For students applying for emergency aid, grant amounts will be determined based on the number of applications received and the specific needs presented in the application. Union County College cannot guarantee that all applications submitted will be funded.

Q. When will we know the results?

The College’s goal is to award the emergency funds as soon as possible. You will receive a notification via your student email if you are awarded or deemed ineligible.

Q. How do students receive the money?

Students will receive a refund check via US mail to the address on file, unless otherwise indicated by the student. When completing the application, the student may request awarded funds be applied to an existing open tuition balance with the College.

Q. Will these funds impact current or future financial aid?

No. This funding is not financial aid, it is emergency relief funding from Congress.