Readmitted student

Did you attend Union in the past but haven’t for two or more semesters and now you are re-enrolling? Welcome back!

If you have any questions throughout the application process, please email or visit a Student Services Center in Cranford, Elizabeth, or Plainfield! No appointments – just walk in during open hours.

Have official documents (immunization records, transcripts, or scores)? Please mail them to:

Union College
Office of Admissions
1033 Springfield Ave.
Cranford, NJ 07016


Fill out the application here.

If you have not attended Union for two or more semesters, you must re-apply. Fill out the application here.

You should apply for financial aid (Step #2 below) even if your application has not yet been processed!


Complete your FAFSA-Free Application for Federal Student Aid here.

Union College’s school code is 002643.

Part of your financial aid application is your eligibility for New Jersey grants. Fill out your HESAA application here. Alternatively, if you are an undocumented student, please fill out the NJ Alternative Financial Aid Application here.

Upon completion of your financial aid application, you should log into Self-Service to review the status of your award. Either your award or missing documents will be indicated within 7-10 business days. If you are missing documents, visit a Student Services Center.

For questions about financial aid, contact


Your username and password will be the same as when you last attended. Contact the Help Desk at 908-709-7979 if you need to reset your password. . If you need further assistance, please visit a Student Services Center or email

Register for your classes in Student Planning :

  • After logging in, click on “Go to Plan & Schedule” and search for your courses

If you attend NSO, you will register for classes at that time.
Register for your classes in Student Planning:
*After logging in, click on “Go to Plan & Schedule” and search for your courses

To change your schedule:

  • You can add or remove classes until 11:59pm on the day before classes start
  • You will not be charged for classes dropped prior to the start of the semester
  • Classes dropped after the start of the semester are subject to the College’s refund policy (


Access Self-Service

Click on ‘Student Finance.’ There, you can:

  • See your outstanding balance
  • See how much financial aid has been approved
  • Make payment by credit card or check
  • Set up a payment plan

If you are not able to pay online, please report to a Student Services Center on any campus to make your payment.